Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Greensboro: Moose Cafe




Moose cafe...aptly named because if you eat here enough you will weigh about the same as a moose (FYI from Wikipedia: Average male moose weighs 850-1580 lbs).

No, no. Now I am not saying the restaurant is not GOOD but it sure is ladden with some heavy foods which I find surprising because it is located in the Piedmont Triad Farmer's Market. When I hear "Farmer's Market" I think of fresh, seasonal vegetables, fresh flowers, and just an overall refreshing feeling...ok back to the review.

I met Adam here during his lunch break while visiting. The decorations were very simplistic and country which I found complimentary to the restaurant. You know the red/white checkered table cloths, drinks served out of a Mason jar, etc. Upon arrival, guests receive a hot biscuit as well as apple butter. I decided to only try half the biscuit as I knew what I ordered wasn't going to be pretty (aka healthy).

The menu offers lots of choices at reasonable prices. It is essentially a meat and 3 with lots of other options as well. They have specials of the day such as country style steaks as well as burgers and salads.

I elected for the special of 1 meat, 2 veggies and fresh cornbread for $4.99. I am a sucker for Chicken 'N Dumplings and currently K&W cafeteria takes the cake; however, I was in the mood to try someone else's! My sides were Mac 'N Cheese and Fried Okra. I warned you it wasn't pretty!

Biscuits: They were warm and good. Yet, I still prefer those flaky ones baked out of the can :)

Chicken 'N Dumplings: WAY TOO THICK. It was almost a porridge and maybe this is how this dish is supposed to taste but I was not a fan. The dumplings were little, the sauce thick, and the chicken pieces sparse.

Fried Okra: The best thing I had...even had enough salt that I didn't need to add any.

Mac 'N Cheese: Decent but lacking some in flavor. It seemed like it had been laying out a bit.

Sweet Tea: A little too sweet (In restaurants, if you want your customers to not drink the tea fast, use less sugar....an old restaurant trick)

Moose cafe is good but I definitely would not make it a weekly thing...maybe a monthly spot. I left feeling too full (that why did I keep eating feeling) and still left a lot on my plate.


**Picture at top of post taken from Moose Cafe's website

No comments:

Post a Comment